Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What a dog and a cup of Mascarpone have in common?

Spenser, my 11-year-old Pembroke Welsh Corgi, has reached the age when he needs to take several different medicines twice a day. I hide them in his food and most of the time he just wolfs them down without realizing they're there. But every once in a while, I find a lone pill left in the otherwise empty bowl. When that happens, I call him back into the kitchen and give him some little treat with the pill hidden inside. A few weeks ago I put a left-behind pill in a fingertip-ful of Vermont Butter & Cheese mascarpone that was in the fridge. The next meal, I found another pill at the bottom of the empty bowl -- this almost never happens two meals in a row. So he got another bit of mascarpone along with his pill -- and an admonition not to get used to such decadence. The next meal he left another pill -- but this time he didn't leave the kitchen.
He just walked over to the refrigerator, sat down and waited for his mascarpone!
How could I not share? When I finally finished the container, I let him lick out the last remnants. After the next meal, his bowl was completely empty.




Jan Fialkom
Managing Editor, Cheese Connoisseur

No comments: